Veggie Burgers are a great plant-based alternative to a traditional meat burger. Love and Lemons has created the perfect tangy, smoky, and savory grill-able patties with a hearty texture from walnuts and mushrooms.
Ingredients for Veggie Burgers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 shallots, chopped (⅔ cup)
- 16 ounces mushrooms, a mix of shiitake + portobello, de-stemmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin, or ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons sriracha, more for an extra kick
- ½ cup crushed walnuts
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 cups cooked short-grain brown rice, freshly cooked so that it’s sticky*
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, divided
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce, for brushing
- Nonstick cooking spray, for grilling
- Hamburger buns & desired burger fixings
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté until soft, 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, a generous pinch of salt, and sauté until soft and browned, 6 to 9 minutes, turning down the heat slightly as needed.
- Stir in the tamari, vinegar, and mirin. Stir, reduce the heat, then add the garlic, smoked paprika, and sriracha. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a food processor, combine the sautéed mushrooms, walnuts, flaxseed, brown rice, and ½ cup of the panko. Pulse until well combined.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the remaining panko.
- Form into 8 slider-sized patties or 6 burger-sized patties.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Spray the grill with nonstick cooking spray and drizzle or brush the patties with olive oil. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until char marks form. Remove from the grill, brush with Worcestershire sauce, and serve with desired fixings.
The patties can be made in advance and stored on a tray in the fridge until ready to grill. They can also be grilled in advance and stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days – they reheat surprisingly well. *It’s very very important that your brown rice is freshly made and sticky so that the burgers will be cohesive. (Long grain rice isn’t as sticky, so be sure to get short grain rice).
Awesome Side Dishes